Sunday, June 28, 2009

There's Such Things as a 5K Pace?

Whenever I see training plans, they always say things like run it at your 5K pace. Or a little faster than your 10K pace. It never really made sense to me because for me I have one pace- the pace I run every distance. Probably not the best way to train or get faster for a long distance race.

So I've tried to incorporate some tempo and speedwork runs into my training lately so I can develop a "5K" pace that's faster than my half-marathon pace. Or at least be able to run three miles faster than I would normally run the first three of a half. I ran three on Saturday and ran the entire thing at about a 10 minute mile pace, which isn't fast I know, but it's faster than I've been running and that's progess. A little bit at a time, and I'll be able to run faster for longer. I'm going to track my pace here.

5K Pace= 10:00 (6.0)

How do you do speedwork training? Do you have a set pace for each distance?

0 comments: