Wednesday, July 29, 2009

8 miles down, 10 to go

I can almost say that I like running again. Not love, but like. We had our second running group yesterday, and it went really well. There were only four of us, but one of the girls pushed us to run faster (she's training to drop time off her 5K pace) and we upped our pace and ended up runing around a 9:45-10:00 minute mile pace, which isn't really fast but it's better than the 10:30 we ran last week. We ran a total of 3.41 miles (according to my Garmin), and it was incredibly humid and hot but still fun to run with people. The second best part was that I got to go home and go back to bed for 2 hours, and I had already finished my run for the day.

Since my Tues/Thurs runs are only between 3-3.5 miles each to make it possible for other people to come, I decided to do a little longer (5 miles) on Wednesday night and throw in some speed training. So tonight I did 5 miles on the treadmill with the intervals below. I normally run between 5.5-5.8 on the treadmill by the way.

Tonight:
Ran 1/2 mile at 5.5
Ran 1 mile at 6.5 (felt great!!!)
Ran 1/2 mile at 5.3
Ran 1 mile at 6.3 (felt great)
Ran 1/2 mile at 5.3
Ran 1/2 mile at 6.0 and 1/2 mile at 6.5 (still felt great)
Ran .1 mile at 6.7, .1 mile at 6.9, .1 mile at 7.1, .1 mile at 7.3, and .1 mile at 7.5.

And you know what? I felt great and wasn't even breathing hard. Two days of running (8 miles) and two left. I'm going to do an easy 3 tomorrow and then try and get it 7-8 on Saturday. If I can run five hard like I did tonight, I think seven or eight easy will be just fine.

Half-marathon here I come :)

0 comments: