Wednesday, July 2, 2008

In Theory, If You Roll a Ball It Will Keep Rolling

There have been very few time in my life when I have felt completely content with my life. Well that's kind of a lie. There have been very few times in my when I've felt completely content with myself. More specifically content with my body. It's amazing how if I'm not content with myself, it makes everything else just a slight shade darker in my eyes. Every one of the times that I've felt completely at peace with myself I was doing two things. I was taking care of myself physically and spiritually. I've never felt better about myself then during those three 12 week periods of half-marathon training.

Why am I writing this today? Because I realized today that I'm not content with myself. I'm not even close to content with myself. So many great things are going on and all I can think about in the morning is how bad I look in anything I put on or how thin the girl ahead of me in line is. Or maybe it's something else. I'm sure everyone has days this like, but what about months, years maybe? I'm going on a year now.

And you know what -I've done absolutely nothing about it. Nothing other than let the weight continue to pile on and continue to get more and more out of shape. This time I've really let it get too far, and it's taken a pretty big toll on my confidence and really every other part of my life. I don't know how I let it get this far, but it's time to take a stand for my physical health.

I'm not gonna make the Virginia Beach half marathon in August (who was I kidding??) but I'm going to run a half-marathon by the end of this year. And after that one, I'm going to sign up and run another one the next year, and the next year after that. I am not going to let the ball stop rolling again because like the law of physics, a body in motion stays in motion. I'm ready to get back in motion.

2 comments:

Edger said...

Once again, I'm with ya. I don't think I've ever gotten to a year, but I've definitely had months. And while I may always be exercising or trying to eat well to some degree, the times when the effort is minimal are so different from the times I've been running consistently and training for a marathon. And the worst part is after all that work to reach a pretty good level of fitness, having to start all over again at square one because I've been a slacker in between!

BigBottomMcGee said...

Good for you! I know how hard it is to get back into it once you've gotten out. I don't know if I've been satisfied with my body for a couple of years either. It has been hard to transition from the active high school girl who can eat whatever she wants to a woman who has to really work to stay fit...