Saturday, January 3, 2009

Long Run One

I'm following a training program that has me running 3-4 days a week. One easy short (3-5 miles) run, one interval short run (3-5 miles), and one long run (5-12) and then I can do an easy (2 miles) run or cross train on the other days. I recently picked up spinning, which is great for cross training so I'm going to do that instead of the fourth day of running. Long runs for me are by far the hardest to get in and are definitely the most important. So today I told myself I would run outside of my long run (5 miles) and finally got around to it at 4:00 PM. I got all geared up with Under Armor, my no slip belt for my keys, and my IPOD with the perfect running playlist and headed out to the Mt. Vernon trail.

I ran a little over six miles (a little over an hour) and finally felt like a runner for the first in over two years. I ran out and back (eight songs out and nine songs back) and when I got back to my car, I felt like I could've kept going, which is the best feeling in the world. The first mile was the toughest (like it always is), but I just kept telling myself 15 more songs, 14 more songs, etc. And I made it. One long run down, seven to go before the half.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

Wow, way to go!

I need to read your running songs post again so I can get a nice playlist. I have NEVER run with music (mostly bc Alson and I run together and usually chat...until I can't breath and must be silent, ha), but think it would really help to motivate me to go longer.

Rachey said...

Good for you! You are definitely going to make it to this half marathon. Sorry you got kind of sick though:(

Kara D said...

That's awesome! How did you work your way up from not running to running six miles?

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

Awesome!!! Spinning is definitely the best cross training. So is swimming. Fantastic!