Thursday, May 22, 2008

It's All About Hate Today

I'm sitting at my office reading blogs, branding websites for work, and trying to figure out anything else to do. You want to know why? Because the other option is going to a hotel where I am supposed to be using their gym to run. Why is it that I will do anything, even things I really don't want to do, just to avoid running? I really do want to start running, I just can't get myself there.

The.truth.is.I.am.scared.

I'm afraid to start running again because I'm not going to be any good at it. Two years ago I could run five miles without a second thought. After seven, I was skipping home and singing to my IPOD. Now I don't think I can go out and run two miles without walking in the middle. I've tried starting back up again twice in the past year and failed miserably both times.

So it's more than just getting motivation to go to the gym. It's getting motivation to overcome a fear, a fear of failure. I know that I just need to start, but there's that little voice inside of me that just keeps saying, "You're going to fail."

Where's the voice that says I can?

4 comments:

Kara said...

I understand what you mean! I used to work out almost every day and I loved doing it. Now I not only have lack of motivation, but I know how out of shape I am and how long it can take to get back to where I was.

But I am sure you can do it! It's so hard to get started, and so I am hoping that after a few days of running and working out that the WANT will come back. :)

Good luck!

h*dizzle said...

i feel ya. when i had set down my tennis stuff for awhile i was scared as hell to get back out on the court. but then i got back into it and i remembered all the things i loved about it and it was great.

itll be slow but it will come back with time =)

which blog do you use i cant keep them straight, missy! x0x0

Rachey said...

I think what you shouldn't be afraid of is starting slowly. So what if at this point you can run two with a walk in the middle? The only way to get to the point where you can run seven no problem is to start small and work your way up to that.

There is no shame in that.

tootie said...

I think we all feel the same way.

But I try to ask myself, "what's the worst that will happen?" Even if I have a bad run, that doesn't mean that the next one will be bad.

Success (for me at least) is just getting out there and running! That's more than most people do.