Monday, May 19, 2008

Motivation Material

I think that one of the hardest things about running is starting. Once I get outside or to the gym, I love it and am really glad I've gotten there. But getting myself to put on gym clothes, get into my car, and drive to the gym is tougher than anything ever should be. In the past, I've found some great sources of motivation that actually get me moving. And one of them is not the fact that when I run, I feel better even though it probably should be. Here are some of my favorite motivating tactics:
  1. Stickers- There is something powerful about putting a WOW or BEST IN CLASS or GREAT JOB sticker on a box in a calendar after a good workout.
  2. Competition- A friendly competition always gets me going.
  3. Big rewards- Things like a new jacket, shoes, clothes, etc. if I reach some big goal (workout for a month).
  4. Small rewards- I get to sleep in, get a pedicure, eat dessert, etc. if I reach a small goal (workout all week, run a particular number of miles, etc.)
  5. Family- I have great family that is always bugging supporting me in my workout endeavors. My dad will actually be running the half-marathon with me in August.
So those are some of my favorites. What do you use to motivate yourself?

Oh and by the way, I know I'm scheduled to run 3-4 miles tonight but my legs hurt incredibly from walking and standing at Disneyworld on Saturday so I'm gonna switch things up a little. I'm going to do my cross training tonight and get in the running tomorrow. That's the beauty of creating my own training plan, I can do what I like as long as I get it done.

1 comments:

Ben said...

Ugh. Exercise. I'm finally getting it back into my routine but without the instant reward of suddenly looking phenomenal, it's hard to keep motivated.