Thursday, May 29, 2008

One Down Billions To Go

I did it. I got up and ran today before work. My husband just started his internship and part of that means getting to work twice a week at 6:30 AM. We only have one car, and the shuttle to the metro doesn't run that early so it means I have to drop him off. The plus side of this is that I can go to the gym before work twice a week. I always said I would love going to gym in the mornings, but I think I meant like at 8:00 or 9:00, not 6:00. Like running it's kind of a love/hate thing.

Love: Getting my workout done early so I can stop thinking I have to go all day.
Hate: It's 6 AM and once I'm done with my workout I have nothing to do other than go to work so I get to work at 7:30 instead of 8:30.

Love: The gym isn't incredibly busy in the morning so I don't have to wait for a treadmill.
Hate: There isn't anything on TV other than the news.

Love: Being able to jump out of bed and throw on my workout clothes without getting ready.
Hate: Showering at the gym.

Love: It gives me more energy during the day and gets my metabolism going.
Hate: I'm dead by about 9:00 PM and need to go to bed by 9:30 to get my necessary eight hours of sleep.

Love: I don't have a choice in the matter so I'll keep going twice a week.
Hate: I don't have a choice in the matter.

Sounds like just the kick I needed to get going. I ran three miles today with short walking breaks between miles and realized how out of shape I really am as I climbed the stairs to the locker room trying to keep my legs from collapsing.

But. I. Did. It.

Day 1 is supposed to be the hardest. I guess I'll have to get through day 2, 3, and 4 to find out.

3 comments:

Fit Mommy said...

Hey, once you get the hang of morning workouts, you will HATE to workout in the evenings. Mornings are best!!

Kara said...

That's great you were able to get up early to run! And that you have extra motivation to do so. I am still in the "HATE" part of getting up early to work out and am hoping that it's going grow on me...

tootie said...

Good for you for getting your workouts done early!

I can relate to the "billions to go." I'm on day 3 of my marathon training, and I don't want to even think about how many more runs and miles I have to go.

But, we should be proud for just starting!!