Tuesday, June 10, 2008

That Girl

Two years ago when I was training for my half marathon and getting ready for my wedding, I went and got a pedicure. The lady working on my nails kind of laughed and smiled. I thought she was smiling because my feet were so gross or because I hadn't shaved before coming. But then she said, "Strong calves. Soccer player?" I told her I wasn't a soccer player but that I ran a lot. She smiled again and massaged my calves (the best part of a pedicure by the way).

I want to be that girl. I want to be the girl who gets told she has nice calves by the pedicurist. The girl who warms up for a volleyball match with a seven mile run. The girl who says she's training a half-marathon like it's nothing at all. The girl who plans and actually runs her runs.

That girl was me once. It's about time that I'm that girl again.

2 comments:

Edger said...

glad i found your blog...i'm trying to be that girl again too. i got into the nyc marathon two years ago but didn't do it the first year so i could run d.c. with friends and didn't do it last year because well, i got lazy and traveled and just didn't train at all. i've been "trying" to get back on track for a while and have been less than dedicated. but it's mid june and the marathon is november 2nd, so i'm pretty much out of time for excuses!

Rachey said...

I see you made it last night! Woo hoo!